If you ever wondered – “Are good grades important?”, rest assured that having them is better than not having them. Learning and getting good grades are the overall goals for students in high school and college. Good grades translate to more academic opportunities, job opportunities, and even money. In this post, we will give you some tips on how to get good grades.
Learn how to learn
- Find out how you learn best. Certain learning methods don’t work for some people. There are audio learners, visual learners, hands-on learners, etc. Find which way you learn best and focus on learning through that method.
- Read the textbook. It likely has all the information that you have to know to do well on your assignments and exams.
- Study smart by creating detailed study guides, quizzing with another Learner, and getting help from teachers when you need it.
- Learn how to research and find information. Being able to research subjects and find good sources is a skill that will help in school and beyond.
- Use a planner. Record all your assignments, quizzes, exams, and appointments in it.
- Create a study schedule. Designate specific times that you will do homework, study, and complete assignments.
- Have all the folders, three-ring binders, and notebooks you need. Have these for each class and keep all your notes and assignments in them.
- Make sure to have a neat workspace. A cluttered desk is a cluttered mind.
- Prioritize classes, homework, exams, and tasks. Allot the appropriate time for things that require more effort from you.
Attend every class (in mind and body)
- Attend every class, not almost every class. When you miss a class, you cannot make it up, it’s gone. So be on time for every class.
- Sit in the front of the class to help you pay attention and get all the information being taught. Hey, it might also rub your teacher the right way.
- Stay engaged in class. Just being there is not enough. You have to be listening to the professor, taking notes, participating, and asking questions to be fully engaged.
- Taking good notes has multiple benefits. Note taking can help you learn and retain the lesson and you can use the notes later to help you prepare for exams. Good notes correlate with good grades.
Learn with others
Find another Learner (study buddy). Here are 6 reasons to find a Learner.
- Find a Knower (tutor) to teach you. They have the knowledge, experience, and teaching ability help you learn and get good grades.
- Learning with others brings more teaching and learning opportunities, teamwork on assignments, and better test preparation.
Do your work
- Always complete your homework and assignments immediately. Getting them done early will allow you to focus on other things.
- Don’t procrastinate; that will put unnecessary pressure on you to complete assignments which will take away from the learning opportunity.
- Complete every homework and assignment you have. These make up a large portion of your final grade. Ensure that you get all of those points just in case you lose points in other areas such as test and projects.
Know how to take exams
- Preparing for exams happens long before the night before an exam. Throughout the class, you should have taken quality notes, reviewed, as well as completed all homework and assignments. Test preparation should be reviewing what you already know.
- Know what to expect in each exam; understand the format and subject material on the test.
- Prepare with another Learner. Combining knowledge and quizzing each other will help improve understanding and retention for exams.
- Don’t cram and get a good night’s sleep. The night before the exam is not the time to learn the material. Hopefully, you spent the weeks before this point preparing so you can just review then get to sleep early to be at your best on exam day.
Getting good grades is not as difficult as some might think, but it’s also not easy. It requires discipline, consistency, and hard work. Qualities such as those are what separates people in the classroom, the workplace, and in life. Do your best to do well in school, it will give you more options in life.
Our community has thousands of Learners and Knowers who are all striving to crush it in school and the workplace. Join the LearnX community to meet people like you.